Working closely with lawyers in Skadden’s corporate and private equity practice groups, Ms. Vermynck advises on the technology-, commercial-, data protection- and cybersecurity-related issues involved in complex transactions, including with respect to emerging issues in big data, AI, blockchain, smart technology, health care and fintech. She also advises clients in a variety of regulatory and litigation matters, including cross-border regulatory proceedings, and privacy and cybersecurity issues.
She is qualified in both civil and common law, enabling her to guide clients in the implementation and execution of multijurisdictional projects by providing them with consolidated advice and risk analysis.
In 2020, Ms. Vermynck was appointed as a member of the Data Law Committee at The City of London Law Society.
Ms. Vermynck’s experience includes:
- assisting clients across various industries with their General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance programs, including advising on data protection governance and strategy, data protection policies and procedures, data protection impact assessments, privacy by design, awareness and training and cybersecurity practices;
- drafting, negotiating and advising on data processing, data sharing and data transfer agreements;
- advising clients in relation to direct marketing and online behavioral advertising issues;
- assisting clients in responding to data breaches and cybersecurity incidents, including representing clients in regulatory investigations resulting from the incidents;
- advising on data protection and cybersecurity issues raised at various stages of corporate transactions; and
- assisting with risk analysis of privacy and cybersecurity requirements at each stage of the e-discovery process in a variety of cross-border regulatory investigations, litigation and arbitration.
IT and IT Projects
- advising on IT-related issues, including in OSS and licensing arrangements, raised at various stages of corporate transactions;
- drafting and negotiating transitional services agreements in the context of corporate/technology transfer deals;
- assisting clients with the implementation of their global outsourcing/IT projects; and
- drafting and negotiating IT services agreements, including cloud contracts (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), software licenses and maintenance agreements for a wide range of clients and suppliers.
Regulatory and Commercial Matters
- advising online companies and consumer goods retailers on regulatory and legal compliance issues in connection with privacy compliance ; consumer, marketing, e-commerce and encryption queries; and the implementation of new services on a multijurisdictional basis; and
- drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, including agency, distribution and hotel management agreements.
Other Significant Representations
Ms. Vermynck’s recent significant representations include advising:
- Electronic Arts Inc. in its US$1.2 billion recommended cash offer for Codemasters Group Holdings plc;
- funds advised by Castik Capital in the acquisition of Customs Support Group B.V. (CSG) from Mentha Capital B.V. and Oscar Driessen, the founder of CSG;
- Zuber and Mohsin Issa, owners of EG Group, and TDR Capital LLP in their acquisition of a majority stake in ASDA Group Limited from Walmart Inc.;
- Adevinta ASA in its US$9.2 billion acquisition of eBay Classifieds Group from eBay Inc.;
- Coty Inc. in its strategic partnership with KKR & Co. Inc. including the carveout sale of 60% of its professional beauty and retail hair businesses to KKR with an enterprise value of US$4.3 billion;
- Visa Inc. in its proposed but terminated $5.3 billion acquisition of Plaid Inc.;
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton S.E. in its initially unsolicited, but subsequently agreed upon, €14.7 billion (US$16.2 billion) acquisition of Tiffany & Co;
- L’Occitane International S.A., a global luxury cosmetics group based in Europe and listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, in its $900 million acquisition of Elemis Ltd. from Steiner Leisure Limited;
- Spotify Technology S.A. in its acquisition of SoundBetter, Inc., an audio production and collaboration marketplace that helps creators connect and hire audio professionals;
- Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC and J.P. Morgan Securities LLC as lead underwriters in the $1.57 billion initial public offering of Class A common stock of Pinterest, Inc.;
- Social Capital Hedosophia Holdings Corp. in its $1.5 billion merger with Virgin Galactic, LLC. The combined company will create the world’s first and only publicly traded commercial human spaceflight company;
- Dassault Systèmes SE, a leading French company in the digital transformation of the life sciences industry for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data intelligence, in its $5.8 billion all-cash proposed acquisition of Medidata Solutions, Inc., a leader in the digital transformation of life sciences, with the world’s most used platform for clinical development, commercial and real-world data;
- Clementia Pharmaceuticals Inc., in its $1.3 billion acquisition by Ipsen S.A.;
- Pret A Manger Ltd in its acquisition of EAT Limited;
- WABCO Holdings Inc., a leading global supplier of technologies and services that improve the safety, efficiency and connectivity of commercial vehicles, in its acquisition by ZF Friedrichshafen AG for $136.50 per share in an all-cash transaction with an equity value of over $7 billion;
- HighQ Solutions, a leading business collaboration and workstream automation platform, in its sale to Thomson Reuters Corporation;
- Hg in a number of matters, including:
- in its acquisition of a minority stake in Argus Media, an independent provider of energy and commodity price reporting;
- in its sale of U.K.-based visual effects producer Foundry to Roper Technologies; and
- in its acquisition of Workshare from Scottish Equity Partners and The Business Growth Fund;
- Permira Funds in a number of matters, including:
- the acquisition of a majority equity stake in Reformation, a sustainable fashion brand for women;
- the acquisition of a majority equity stake in Axiom Global Inc., the global leader in specialised on-demand legal talent; and
- in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Cambrex Corporation, a contract development and manufacturing life sciences company;
- Liberty Mutual in a cross-border acquisition of four businesses from AmTrust Financial Services, Inc.; and
- Spencer Stuart, a leading executive search and leadership advisory firm, in its acquisition of portions of the talent business of Aon plc.