Bing Yan focuses on international arbitration and commercial litigation.
Ms. Yan has acted in international arbitration proceedings under the rules of all major arbitral institutions, dealing with disputes covering a broad range of commercial and financial matters, as well as a number of high-profile investment treaty arbitrations. She has extensive experience in commercial litigation across a wide range of sectors, including energy, mining and insurance, and has been involved in a number of white collar matters, including FCPA investigations.
Ms. Yan is trained in both common law and civil law systems, and has practiced in several global financial centers, including Shanghai, New York, Singapore and London. She speaks fluent English and Mandarin.
Ms. Yan’s recent experience includes representing:
- the estate of an Asian multibillionaire in respect of claims brought to trace trust assets in multiple proceedings in Asia and Bermuda. The claims were in excess of US$20 billion
- the estate of a founding partner of a leading private equity fund in a dispute with the existing partners concerning the distribution of profits and carried interest
- the majority shareholders and the director of an international sea and river cruise company defending a minority shareholder claim in the Bermuda Supreme Court and Court of Appeal
- a Russian investment group on an Energy Charter Treaty claim against the U.K. government concerning the revocation of its exploration licenses of oil and gas fields of North Sea
- a major Indonesian oil and gas company in SIAC arbitration proceedings concerning a pipeline throughput fee and payment agreement
- a major Taiwanese producer of sapphire crystal wafers in ICC arbitration proceedings concerning defective manufacturing equipment
- a Bermuda energy insurance company in a dispute with its reinsurers regarding the sinking of an oil tanker off the coast of France
- a Bermuda energy insurance company in an ad hoc arbitration in London regarding the leaking of contaminants into Lake Michigan
- a Bermuda energy insurance company in an ad hoc arbitration in London regarding an explosion at an underground coal mine