Ms. Zweibel is known for her experience with state and federal pay-to-play laws, particularly SEC Rule 206(4)-5, on which she extensively advises with regard to compliance policies, procedures and implementation. She also advises clients on obtaining discretionary waivers from the SEC. She conducts employee training sessions on pay-to-play compliance and works with clients on internal investigations and SEC audits. Ms. Zweibel counsels clients on the placement agent rules and policies of state and local public pension systems. She also advises clients on municipal advisor issues under Dodd-Frank as well as compliance with SEC and MSRB rules for municipal advisors.
Ms. Zweibel advises clients on political law compliance issues relating to mergers and acquisitions, and represents clients before federal enforcement agencies such as the Office of Congressional Ethics and the Department of Justice. She regularly advises clients on federal and state lobby registration laws, particularly compliance with the Lobbying Disclosure Act and the Foreign Agents Registration Act. She works with clients on compliance issues raised under the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act (the STOCK Act), which confirms that insider trading provisions in the ’34 Act and Rule 10b-5 apply to Congress and other federal officials.
Ms. Zweibel also counsels clients on tax law issues raised by government affairs activity, including issues of tax-exempt entities engaged in political affairs and lobbying, the tax treatment of lobbying expenses, and grassroots lobbying. In addition, she advises clients on tax matters of IRC Section 527 organizations (PACs).
Ms. Zweibel is co-author of the Practising Law Institute’s “Corporate Political Activities Deskbook.”
- “Mid-Term Elections Are on the Way! Time to Review Federal Campaign Finance and Pay-to-Play Rules,” June 13, 2018, Practising Law webinar
- “Pay-to-Play Compliance in Municipal Contracts: Avoiding Violations of MSRB Amended Rule G-37, SEC Rule 206 (4)-5, FINRA Rule 2030, CFTC Reg. 23.451,” May 8, 2018, Strafford CLE webinar
- “Political Law Compliance Considerations for Energy Companies and Utilities,” presentation at Ethics Utilities and Energy Compliance & Ethics conference, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, February 5, 2018, Washington, D.C.
- “Political Engagement: How to Guide Your Employees While Maintaining Compliance,” Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics webinar, July 10, 2017
- “State Political Activity Compliance: Understanding the Rules and Assessing Risks,” Practising Law Institute webinar, June 13, 2017
- “Inaugurations and Transitions: Campaign Finance, Lobby, Gift and Pay-to-Play Implications,” Practising Law Institute webinar, November 16, 2016
- “Interactions with Government Officials: What you Need to Know About Political Law Compliance,” Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics webinar, October 13, 2016
Senior Counsel (2006-2008) and Attorney-Adviser (2000-2006), Internal Revenue Service, Office of Associate Chief Counsel, Income Tax & Accounting