We represent troubled companies, boards of directors, management, owners, creditors, lenders, investors and acquirors in the full spectrum of in- and out-of-court restructuring transactions, including financial recapitalizations, business reorganizations, acquisitions and liquidations. Our lawyers also advise on insolvency issues in corporate and financing transactions and on all aspects of distressed debt trading and securities issues. A substantial aspect of our practice focuses on avoiding and/or mitigating the adverse effects of liquidity or other crises through liability management and contingency planning. In addition, our presence in Europe, Asia and South America allows us to address clients’ needs in the context of insolvency and bankruptcy regimes around the world.
We pride ourselves on being innovators and developing original, practical and efficient strategies to address a variety of unique challenges faced by clients. This approach has led to our Corporate Restructuring Group consistently being recognized by peers and restructuring professionals as one of the top practices in the world, including:
- Ranked in the top tier by IFLR1000 2020
- Advised DiTech Holding Corp., Stearns Holdings, Synergy Pharmaceuticals, Trident Holding Company and The We Company on matters recognized in the annual “Successful Restructurings” series published by Turnarounds & Workouts (January 2020). The publication also recognized Stearns Holdings, Trident Holding Company, New Cotai Holdings and Melinta Therapeutics in its “Largest Bankruptcy Filings – 2019” report
- Recognized at the Turnaround Management Association’s Turnaround and Transaction of the Year Awards with the prize for Large Company Turnaround of the Year
- Named Transatlantic Restructuring Team of the Year by The American Lawyer and Legal Week at the 2019 Transatlantic Legal Awards and Corporate Restructuring Team of the Year at the 2017 Transatlantic Legal Awards
- Listed in U.S. News — Best Lawyers as Law Firm of the Year as part of the publication’s 2017 Best Law Firms survey
- Honored by Global Restructuring Review with the award for Cross-Border Cooperation in a Specific Insolvency or Restructuring Matter for our role in settling litigation stemming from the Nortel insolvency proceedings
- Recognized by The American Lawyer at its 2017 Global Legal Awards with the Global Finance Deal of the Year: Insolvency and Restructuring (U.S.) for our representation of Roust Corporation in the fastest billion-dollar prepackaged restructuring in history
- Listed in the GRR 30, a ranking of the world’s top 30 firms for cross-border restructuring and insolvency advice
Skadden has been at the forefront of numerous groundbreaking restructurings, often creating novel and efficient solutions for our clients in large and complex domestic and cross-border restructurings.