Skadden is currently looking to hire a Professional Development Manager in our Attorney Development department. This position is responsible for coordinating a full range of professional development and staffing activities for a given practice area (or areas) in New York City (or multiple offices). Working within the Global Attorney Development team, and reporting to an Attorney Development Manager, the Professional Development Manager, collaborates with the Practice Leader, Staffing Partner and Attorney Development Partner to ensure successful implementation of the Firm's associate development objectives at the practice level.
- Build trust and credibility with partners.
- Develop a professional relationship with each associate, including an in-depth understanding of professional aspirations, experiences, strengths, development needs, and relevant personal circumstances.
- Monitor associate development to ensure associates are progressing along the practice area's desired developmental trajectory and follow-up on development plans.
- Recommend the Firm's career resources as appropriate, and ensure forward progress on exit strategies.
- Assist in preparation of review messages and performance summaries; coordinate/attend associate and counsel review meetings and facilitate evaluation processes for the practice with the Attorney Development team.
- Coordinate with Hiring Team on new hires, Summer Program, Rotating Associates (if applicable), and mentor program.
- Work with the Attorney Development Training Team in developing practice area specific programs, arrange training program logistics and ensure participation in all required CLE programs.
- Participate in defining the overall training agenda for practice area and coordinate training to meet identified development needs.
- Work with staffing partner to ensure that each attorney is fully utilized within their area, having the opportunity to work on a variety of matters and with a variety of partners, while balancing development opportunities with client needs.
- Ensure consistency of experiences and equitable distribution of assignments across the practice area. Monitor utilization and intervene as appropriate.
- Track vacation schedules to ensure that plans are in place for coverage.
- Cull and synthesize information for practice leader, including missing time, stress test alerts, status of reviews, and distribution of workload.
- Manage information flow in the required systems and policy compliance, e.g., bar admission status updates, mentor assignments, time recording compliance.
- Work on a variety of ad hoc projects as needed.
- Strong interest and experience in professional development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong influencing capabilities and sound judgment
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong demonstrated leadership
- A non-hierarchical approach; the flexibility and ability to build consensus
- Ability to adhere to the highest process standards and stand firm on decisions
- Ability to work under pressure and conflicting circumstances
- Strong integrity, maturity, and fairness in dealing with people and confidential information
- Bachelor's Degree; JD and prior professional coaching/counseling experience a plus
- 3+ years of professional development experience at a professional services firm
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.