Skadden is seeking a Research & Knowledge Analyst to join our Research & Knowledge Services team in the Washington, D.C. office. The work schedule for the position is Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. As a member of Skadden's professional staff, the Research & Knowledge Analyst will play an integral role in helping the firm provide high-quality service to clients.
- Responsible for researching and providing information, analysis and expertise to attorneys and professional staff in all practice areas of the firm.
- Analyzes legal, corporate and general resources and communicates findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Helps plan and implement department outreach, training and orientation programs.
- Assists with the evaluation and recommendation of new information resources.
- Supports research and Knowledge Management initiatives for firm attorneys and professional staff across the globe, incorporating new technology.
- Performs cost efficient ready reference and in-depth research on legal, corporate and other topics using online and print resources.
- Uses question and answer skills to conduct effective reference interviews.
- Distills research results into clear and concise reports of findings.
- Creates and maintains new business alert services that identify matters of interest to attorneys, as well as existing and potential clients.
- Creates and maintains current awareness alert services.
- Works independently and with the Knowledge Strategy (KS) team and selected practice areas to choose, collect, organize, maintain, and update content for practice area websites and databases.
- Provides attorneys with access to and encourages the effective use of internal and external knowledge resources.
- Disseminates knowledge resources via firm-wide intranet and databases to attorneys.
- Collaborates with practice group leaders and other attorneys to design effective KS websites and databases.
- Establishes relationships with attorneys to promote awareness of KS initiatives and to solicit their participation.
- Uses workflow software for the distribution and recording of research and KM requests.
- Ensures continuity of Research & Knowledge Services operations during supervisor absences.
- Mentors Research & Knowledge Services professional staff.
- Monitors email on firm-issued mobile devices while out of the office and during off hours and coordinates with staff in the Washington, DC and other offices to complete pending requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Expertise in using computer-based research tools including but not limited to: Lexis, Westlaw, Bloomberg, Intelligize, Securities Mosaic, Practical Law, Fastcase, PLI, Capital IQ, Deal Point Data, CCH Cheetah, SNL.
- Broad and thorough knowledge of legal, business and financial information sources.
- Current awareness of knowledge and information technology developments.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Proven ability in using WYSIWYG web page editors.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Flexibility to travel and adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent experience (minimum of eight years) and a minimum of two years research experience in a law firm or corporate library.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.