Skadden is seeking an Accounting Manager General Ledger to join our General Ledger department in our White Plains Office. This person will manage a centralized General Ledger department for a global organization and will have responsibilities in the planning, development, organization, and operations for the department and staff.
This position will be responsible for managing fixed assets in compliance with domestic and international rules, maintaining multiple ledgers in multiple currencies, managing annual audits, ensuring accurate and timely monthly closing and reconciliations, and generation of financial reports.
- Ensures that all general ledger accounts are reconciled and outstanding items are resolved on a timely basis.
- Review the international payrolls and other month end processes to meet designated reporting deadlines for the reporting of financial results.
- Verifies accuracy and posts journal entries prepared by staff.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with Firm policies.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Prepares and reviews monthly financial statements and operating statements.
- Provides schedules required for the annual audits and prepares related financial statements.
- Works closely with the tax department to ensure that various ledgers are in compliance with tax reporting requirements.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the basic processes of the other related accounting departments (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, etc.) to ensure that all transactions are posted timely and accurately to the general ledgers.
- Recommends and implements changes and improvements in methods and procedures to higher level management.
- Ensures current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned department(s).
- Personally handles more complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department, prepares related reports, and monitors the budget.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong understanding of domestic and international tax issues
- International accounting experience
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Ability to develop and manage staff
- Broad and thorough knowledge of Finance (Accounting/Financial Reporting)
- Knowledge of cash and accrual Accounting
- Knowledge of Accounting related software (i.e. Aderant, Hyperion, ExpertImage)
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, time-management, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting (CPA or MBA a plus)
- Minimum of 15 years of Accounting/Finance related experience
- Public Accounting experience a plus
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.