Damian Babic advises employers on a full range of employment issues, including employee reorganisations, redundancies and restructurings, the employment aspects of high-value and complex corporate transactions, employment claims and disputes, and advice to human resources and business leaders on day-to-day employment issues.
Mr. Babic has extensive experience in:
- addressing the employment issues arising in the context of the acquisition or disposal of
a business, including on the application of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of
Employment) Regulations, known as TUPE;
- advising employers on restructuring and reorganising their workforce;
- employment advice related to cross-border transactions and coordination of international
- advising on and negotiating senior executives’ service agreements;
- managing executive dismissals, including the negotiation of settlement terms;
- defending complex and high-value employment-related claims;
- advising employers on pay equity and equal pay reviews;
- advising on data protection issues in relation to U.K.-based employees; and
- training clients on employment issues, such as discipline and grievances, equality, and
workplace harassment and bullying.
Recent matters include:
- advising Zuber and Mohsin Issa and private equity firm TDR Capital on the employment aspects on their £6.8 billion acquisition of a majority stake in Asda from Walmart;
- coordinating employment due diligence, consultation and treatment of benefits, ensuring
the smooth transition of employees on numerous cross-border acquisitions for clients,
including in Adevinta’s acquisition of eBay’s Classifieds business; L’Occitane’s acquisition
of Elemis Group; and Phoenix’s acquisitions of Standard Life Assurance and ReAssure;
- providing employment support on various transactions and advice on employment matters
and related issues (including executive retention and restriction) for private equity houses
and their portfolio companies, including Hg, Silver Lake Partners, Castik Capital and
- advising a U.K. retailer on the furlough of its workforce as a result of the COVID-19
pandemic, as well as associated redundancies and employee consultation;
- advising Coty on the divestiture of its Professional Beauty business to KKR, including coordination of employment consultation and transfer advice across 30-plus jurisdictions; and
- advising on the defence of a renowned and high-profile sexual harassment claim.
Mr. Babic joined Skadden in 2016 after having previously trained at another London law
firm. He is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association Junior Committee.