Julie E. Cohen
Partner, Complex Litigation and Trials
Julie Cohen represents U.S. and international clients in a wide variety of complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts.
Ms. Cohen has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a broad range of litigations and arbitrations, and has extensive experience litigating noncompete and employment-related claims, breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, civil conspiracy, securities, false advertising and trade secret claims. She also has counseled on consumer class actions and bankruptcy-related issues, including fraudulent transfer claims.
Some of Ms. Cohen’s matters include acting as trial counsel or representing:
- Morgan Stanley & Co LLC in an adversary proceeding in the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico arising out of the restructuring of the Puerto Rico commonwealth under the Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act. The proceeding involved an alleged fraudulent transfer and related state law claims
- Tempus, Inc. in a trial victory in the Southern District of New York relating to an alleged breach of a noncompete provision in an employment contract
- Celonis, Inc. in connection with an employment dispute in New York state court
- NextEra Energy, Inc. in its bankruptcy court trial victory against the Adelphia Communications Recovery Trust, which had sued to recover approximately $300 million for an allegedly fraudulent transfer from Adelphia to two NextEra subsidiaries
- A. Schulman, Inc. and certain of its subsidiaries in two lawsuits (including one suit that went to trial in Delaware Chancery Court) asserting breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims against former owners of Citadel Plastic Holdings, Inc. and Lucent Polymers, Inc.
- one of the world’s largest asset managers in successfully securing dismissal on all counts of $1.5 billion-plus excessive fee claims under Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act after an eight-day bench trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. The case was one of the largest ever involving claims against mutual funds
- Crown Castle NG East LLC in arguing and securing a victory before the New York Appellate Division, Second Department, obtaining reverse of a Supreme Court decision on an issue of standing in a hybrid Article 78 proceeding relating to municipal zoning
- Anglo Irish Bank as part of the trial team that obtained a complete victory in its arbitration against Peninsula Real Estate Fund I GP, stemming from a real estate development partnership the bank funded. Following weeks of factual and expert testimony from more than two dozen witnesses, extensive post-hearing briefing and a day of closing arguments, the tribunal awarded the bank with the removal of the general partner and denied the general partner’s claims for more than $75 million in damages
- a trust in a complex partnership dispute spanning multiple jurisdictions with claims of an alleged oral partnership agreement, breach of fiduciary duty, civil conspiracy and fraud
- Fresh Del Monte Fresh Produce, Inc. in securing a victory in a jury trial against Del Monte Foods Co., securing Fresh Del Monte’s exclusive right under the parties’ contract to use the Del Monte trademark on certain refrigerated preserved fruit, returning a verdict in favor of Fresh Del Monte on five out of six Lanham Act false advertising claims
Ms. Cohen is a member of the Skadden’s Summer Associate Committee and is heavily involved in the firm’s recruiting efforts.
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 2008
- B.A., Yale University, 2004
- New York
Julie E. Cohen
Partner, Complex Litigation and Trialsjulie.firstname.lastname@example.org