John Edwards focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and other corporate and securities matters.
Mr. Edwards represents acquirers, sellers and targets in a wide variety of transactions, including public and private mergers, acquisitions, dispositions (including auctions), joint ventures, shareholder activism and other corporate matters.
Significant U.S. and cross-border transactions include the representation of:
- Ball Corporation in its pending $5.6 billion sale of its aerospace business to BAE Systems
- Brookfield Asset Management Reinsurance Partners Ltd. in its $5.1 billion acquisition of American National Group, Inc.
- Core Specialty Insurance Holdings, Inc., in its merger with Lancer Insurance Company, following which the combined business had over $1.1 billion in equity capital
- Black Diamond in its acquisition, with Investindustrial, of Hexion Inc.’s phenolic specialty resin, hexamine and European-based forest products resins business for $425 million
- Ball Corporation in its $225 million divestiture of its Chinese beverage can and end manufacturing business
- AutoNation, Inc. in:
- its acquisition of RepairSmith for $190 million
- its acquisition of CIG Financial for $85 million
- Kemper Corporation in its sale of its accident and health insurance business to Medical Mutual of Ohio for $90 million
- Dürr AG, a major German mechanical and plant engineering firm, in its acquisition of MEGTEC/Universal for $130 million
- Bakelite Synthetics in its acquisition of Georgia-Pacific’s chemicals business
- The Middleby Corporation in:
- its acquisition of Zhuhai Guangdong China-based United Foodservice Equipment Group
- its acquisition of Standex International Corporation’s Cooking Solutions Group
- its acquisition of M-TEK Corporation
- its acquisition of L2F Inc.
- TreeHouse Foods, Inc., in its cooperation agreement with activist investor JANA Partners LLC
Mr. Edwards also helps provide training to junior associates at the firm.