Leo Greenberg represents domestic and international clients in an array of U.S. federal income tax matters. Mr. Greenberg advises public and private companies across industries on the buy-side and sell-side tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions. He also counsels multinational companies in the biopharmaceutical, technology, automotive, entertainment, insurance, energy, food and shipping industries on complex post-acquisition integration and cross-border tax planning. Additionally, Mr. Greenberg represents business clients in the tax aspects of public and private debt and equity offerings, redemptions, restructurings, intellectual property licensing and collaboration transactions, and bankruptcies.
In recognition of his work, Mr. Greenberg was named an Up & Coming Lawyer in 2023 by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
Representative matters include:
- Acrisure LLC in its $3.4 billion capital raise from BDT Capital Partners
- ArQule, Inc. in its $2.7 billion acquisition by Merck & Co., Inc.
- Array BioPharma Inc. in its $11.4 billion acquisition by Pfizer Inc.
- Aspen Technology, Inc. in its $11 billion mixed consideration business combination with the software business of Emerson Electric Co.
- Carbonite, Inc. in its acquisition by OpenText TM, a transaction that valued Carbonite at an enterprise value of $1.42 billion
- Convera in its $910 million acquisition of Western Union Business Solutions
- The McClatchy Company in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy and Section 363 asset sale
- MorphoSys AG in its $1.7 billion acquisition of Constellation Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and its related financing transactions with Royalty Pharma plc
- New Fortress Energy Inc. in its combined $5 billion stock and cash acquisition of Hygo Energy Transition Ltd. and Golar LNG Partners LP
- Strongbridge Biopharma plc in its acquisition by Xeris Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for stock and contingent value rights
- Veritas Capital in its $3 billion take-private acquisition of Cubic Corporation
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated in its $950 million acquisition of Semma Therapeutics, Inc.
- WeWork Inc. in its business combination with BowX Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company
Mr. Greenberg also regularly advises nonprofit organizations pro bono regarding obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status. Additionally, he is a co-author of the United States chapter of The Inward Investment and International Taxation Review.