Clients note the firm has “a very deep bench, with experts in every area. They provide a valuable breadth of expertise.” — Chambers USA 2019
The Tax Group at Skadden handles all aspects of tax law in transactions worldwide. Skadden tax lawyers bring years of experience gained in both private practice and in government to each engagement with the goal of creative and value-added tax solutions. Our practice coordinates its efforts with Skadden lawyers in other disciplines to provide a team approach to each client matter.
Our attorneys are experienced in virtually every type of matter that presents significant tax issues. Our tax professionals also have played leading roles in developing creative controversy resolutions, such as global settlements, fast-track appeals settlements, prefiling agreements and similar expedited resolution strategies. If litigation is required, the firm has well-known tax litigators experienced in substantial tax controversies.
We draw from all these resources to form appropriate teams that can achieve innovative and efficient solutions tailored to each client’s specific needs and preferences. Our work has included:
- tax-free and taxable acquisitions, leveraged buy-outs, spin-offs, and dispositions, often with crossborder components;
- corporate finance and funding transactions, recapitalizations and leasing transactions;
- real estate investment trusts (REITs) and registered investment companies (RICs);
- partnerships, LLCs, joint ventures and disregarded entities in a variety of unusual contexts and in virtually every industry sector;
- Chapter 11 reorganization cases and nonjudicial restructurings;
- private equity and hedge fund transactions;
- international tax planning, including transfer pricing, foreign tax credits and advance pricing agreements;
- tax accounting, including capitalization, cost recovery, mark-to-market and accounting method change questions;
- advising tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations on a wide range of matters, including formation and structuring; M&A, joint ventures and other transactions; and obtaining exemption determinations from the IRS;
- private letter rulings and other guidance from the IRS and Treasury Department;
- tax audits including CAP, LIFE and other special programs, prefiling agreements and fast-track resolutions;
- appeals, including early referral, mediation and arbitration;
- global resolutions of complex matters involving multiple years, issues and stages of controversy within the IRS (and sometimes also including the Department of Justice);
- tax litigation, involving a wide array of corporate and individual issues, representation of practitioners in proceedings under Circular 230 and representation of taxpayers and professionals in controversies involving tax penalties and tax return preparer penalties; and
- state tax planning and controversy.
Skadden was named Tax Controversy Firm of the Year at the inaugural Chambers USA District of Columbia Awards in 2019, which recognize the leading practices based in the U.S. capital. In 2019, Skadden received top honors at the annual International Tax Review Americas Awards, including, for the third consecutive year, Americas Tax Firm of the Year, North American Tax Firm of the Year and, for the second consecutive year, U.S. Tax Court Firm of the Year, among others. In addition, The American Lawyer and Legal Week named us Transatlantic Tax Team of the Year at the 2018 Transatlantic Legal Awards. Since 2015, Law360 has named us Tax Group of the Year, and Vault’s Best Law Firms ranked us No. 1 for tax every year since the rankings’ inception (2010-20). We were also named Law Firm of the Year for Tax Law by U.S. News — Best Lawyers in 2018 and 2019. The Tax Group and its members are repeatedly named as leaders in their field in Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Legal 500 and International Tax Review.