"The team is of extremely high quality in terms of experience with and knowledge of highly complex, high-value taxation matters. They are certainly among the best teams by reputation in the United States." – Chambers USA 2018
The Tax Group at Skadden handles all aspects of tax law in transactions worldwide. Skadden tax lawyers bring years of experience gained in both private practice and in government to each engagement with the goal of creative and value-added tax solutions. Our practice coordinates its efforts with Skadden lawyers in other disciplines to provide a team approach to each client matter.
Our attorneys are experienced in virtually every type of matter that presents significant tax issues. Our tax professionals also have played leading roles in developing creative controversy resolutions, such as global settlements, fast-track appeals settlements, prefiling agreements and similar expedited resolution strategies. If litigation is required, the firm has well-known tax litigators experienced in substantial tax controversies.
We draw from all these resources to form appropriate teams that can achieve innovative and efficient solutions tailored to each client’s specific needs and preferences. Our work has included:
- tax-free and taxable acquisitions, leveraged buy-outs, spin-offs, and dispositions, often with crossborder components;
- corporate finance and funding transactions, recapitalizations and leasing transactions;
- real estate investment trusts (REITs) and registered investment companies (RICs);
- partnerships, LLCs, joint ventures and disregarded entities in a variety of unusual contexts and in virtually every industry sector;
- Chapter 11 reorganization cases and nonjudicial restructurings;
- private equity and hedge fund transactions;
- international tax planning, including transfer pricing, foreign tax credits and advance pricing agreements;
- tax accounting, including capitalization, cost recovery, mark-to-market and accounting method change questions;
- advising tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations on a wide range of matters, including formation and structuring; M&A, joint ventures and other transactions; and obtaining exemption determinations from the IRS;
- private letter rulings and other guidance from the IRS and Treasury Department;
- tax audits including CAP, LIFE and other special programs, prefiling agreements and fast-track resolutions;
- appeals, including early referral, mediation and arbitration;
- global resolutions of complex matters involving multiple years, issues and stages of controversy within the IRS (and sometimes also including the Department of Justice);
- tax litigation, involving a wide array of corporate and individual issues, representation of practitioners in proceedings under Circular 230 and representation of taxpayers and professionals in controversies involving tax penalties and tax return preparer penalties; and state tax planning and controversy.