Prior to joining Skadden, Mr. Harris held numerous executive positions at the IRS, starting in the IRS Independent Office of Appeals, where he led the design and implementation of the Appeals judicial approach and culture (AJAC) policy. Earlier in his career, Mr. Harris participated in a one-year fellowship with the U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Oversight Subcommittee.
Following his time in Appeals, Mr. Harris was an executive in the IRS Large Business & International (LB&I) Operating Division, where he helped with the design and implementation of numerous IRS examination programs, including the LB&I campaign program, the large corporate compliance program and the compliance assurance process.
Most recently, Mr. Harris served as commissioner of the Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Operating Division, where he managed the administration of service and enforcement examination programs for individual and corporate income taxes, as well as employment, estate, gift and excise taxes. Additionally, he provided direction to the Bank Secrecy Act program and the Office of Promoter Investigations. Mr. Harris led the agency’s enforcement strategies for several high-profile issues, including the research credit, closely coordinating efforts with the IRS Office of Chief Counsel and all business operating divisions, as well as the Department of the Treasury, congressional offices and other stakeholders. In addition, he played a key role in the implementation of recently enacted tax legislation, including the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, numerous pandemic relief acts and the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
During his time as an SB/SE executive, Mr. Harris helped the IRS increase its use of data and behavioral analytics and other technology resources in an effort to increase efficiency and utility of examination resources. With responsibility for a workforce of approximately 10,000 employees charged with administering tax programs affecting over 50 million businesses, Mr. Harris was a key member of the senior executive team at the IRS.
- B.S., Southwestern Oklahoma State University, 1985
- Commissioner, IRS Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Operating Division, Examination (2021-22)
- Deputy Commissioner, IRS SB/SE Operating Division, Examination (2019–21)
- Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Compliance Integration, IRS Large Business & International (LB&I) Operating Division (2017-19)
- Director Field Operations Mid-Atlantic, Northeastern Compliance Practice Area, IRS LB&I Operating Division (2015-17)
- Director Field Operations West, IRS Independent Office of Appeals (2010-15)
- Assistant to the Deputy Chief, IRS Independent Office of Appeals (2010)
- Senior Operations Advisor, Field Operations East, IRS Independent Office of Appeals (2007-10)
- IRS Fellow and Subcommittee Liaison, U.S. House of Representatives, Ways and Means Oversight Subcommittee (2003-04)