Having practiced political law for more than 20 years at Skadden, Ms. Miles advises clients on campaign finance, pay-to-play, lobbying, ethics and conflict-of-interest laws. She also counsels clients on establishing and maintaining comprehensive systems to ensure compliance with those laws. In addition, Ms. Miles aids in the representation of alleged violators during the enforcement stage.
Ms. Miles has extensive contact with various state ethics and elections commissions around the country. She also has worked with federal entities such as the Federal Election Commission, the House and Senate Ethics committees and the Office of Government Ethics, and has assisted clients in responding to audits of federal lobbying activities by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Ms. Miles works with clients on establishing corporate policies and procedures regarding compliance with campaign finance, pay-to-play, lobbying, ethics and conflict-of-interest laws. She also advises clients on establishing comprehensive corporate and PAC political giving models at the federal level and in all 50 states pursuant to applicable campaign finance and pay-to-play laws. In addition, Ms. Miles performs internal political law audits regarding campaign finance and lobbying compliance, and counsels clients on recommendations based on the findings in such audits. She also advises corporate clients on political compliance issues relevant to mergers and acquisitions. Additionally, Ms. Miles represents clients in matters involving compliance with conflict-of-interest laws related to employees seeking to hold an elected or appointed position with a government body or hiring a former public official. As well, she has assisted in developing government consultant background-check protocols and regularly oversees and advises on these results.
Ms. Miles has extensive experience working with federal pay-to-play laws, including SEC Rule 206(4)-5, MSRB Rule G-37, CFTC Rule 23.451 and FINRA Rule 2030, as well as state and local pay-to-play laws.
Ms. Miles is a member of Women in Government Relations, a professional society, and also participates in Skadden’s Women’s Leadership Forum. She also is a member of the Public Affairs Council’s PAC Leaders Group. She regularly makes presentations on political law and ethics issues to trade associations and other membership organizations.
- “PAC Essentials: Revisiting Contributions, Bylaws and Governance,” Public Affairs Council, June 10, 2021
- “PAC Compliance and Corporate Political Contributions,” Skadden webinar, April 28, 2021
- “Compliance Essentials in a Virtual World,” Public Affairs Council, February 25, 2021
- “Managing Corporate Political Contributions,” Public Affairs Council webinar, November 12, 2020
- “Post-Election Issues in Political Law Compliance,” Skadden webinar, November 10, 2020
- “Managing Corporate Contributions Effectively,” Public Affairs Council, March 3, 2020
- “PAC Governance: Boards, Bylaws and Budgets,” Public Affairs Council, November 7, 2019
- “Vetting Government Consultants and Conflicts of Interest,” Skadden webinar, April 16, 2019