Having practiced political law for 20 years at Skadden, Ms. Miles advises clients on ethics, conflict-of-interest, lobbying, pay-to-play and campaign finance laws. She also counsels clients on establishing and maintaining comprehensive systems to ensure compliance with those laws. In addition, Ms. Miles aids in the representation of alleged violators during the enforcement stage.
Ms. Miles has extensive contact with various state ethics and elections commissions around the country. She also has worked with federal entities such as the Federal Election Commission, the House and Senate Ethics committees and the Office of Government Ethics, and has assisted clients in responding to audits of federal lobbying activities by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Ms. Miles works with clients on many aspects of their compliance programs, including advising on corporate policies and procedures regarding political activity. Ms. Miles works with many clients on the establishment of corporate political action committees under applicable campaign finance laws. She also performs internal political law audits regarding campaign finance and lobbying compliance, and advises clients on recommendations based on the findings in such audits. Ms. Miles also advises corporate clients on political compliance issues relevant to mergers and acquisitions. She assisted in developing a government consultant background check protocol and regularly oversees and advises on the results.
Ms. Miles has extensive experience working with federal pay-to-play laws, including SEC Rule 206(4)-5 and MSRB Rule G-37. She also advises clients on state and local pay-to-play laws.
Ms. Miles is a member of Women in Government Relations, a professional society, and also participates in Skadden’s Women’s Leadership Forum. She also is a member of the Public Affairs Council’s PAC Leaders Group. She regularly makes presentations on political law and ethics issues to trade associations and other membership organizations.
- “Managing Corporate Contributions Effectively,” Public Affairs Council, March 3, 2020
- “PAC Governance: Boards, Bylaws and Budgets,” Public Affairs Council, November 7, 2019
- "Vetting Government Consultants and Conflicts of Interest," Skadden webinar, April 16, 2019
- "State Contribution Strategies: With or Without State PACs," Public Affairs Council, March 4, 2019
- "Show Them The Money: PAC Disbursements Best Practices," Women in Government Relations conference, April 6, 2018
- "WGR Leadership Institute: M&A Mania," March 22, 2018
- "Political Compliance 101 Webinars: Gifts," Women in Government Relations webinar, March 13, 2018
- "Under the Hood: Best Practices for Conducting an Internal PAC Audit," Public Affairs Council, March 5, 2018
- "Political Engagement: How to Guide Your Employees While Maintaining Compliance," Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics webinar, July 10, 2017