Layton Z. Niu represents public and private companies, private equity investors and financial institutions on mergers, acquisitions, investments, disposals and other corporate matters.
Mr. Niu has served as counsel to:
- JD.com, Inc. in its:
- strategic partnership with Google, including Google’s US$550 million investment in JD; and
- strategic cooperation with Tencent Holdings Limited valued at over US$800 million, including issuance of Class A ordinary shares to Tencent;
- Baidu, Inc. in the divestment of its financial services business and sale of a majority stake of that business for US$1.9 billion to a consortium led by TPG Capital and The Carlyle Group;
- Ctrip.com International, Ltd. in a share exchange transaction with Naspers Limited, in which Naspers exchanged its stake in the Nasdaq-listed MakeMyTrip Limited for newly issued shares in Ctrip;
- ZTO Express (Cayman) Inc. in a strategic agreement with Alibaba and its logistics arm Cainiao Network, pursuant to which investors led by Alibaba and Cainiao invested US$1.38 billion in ZTO in exchange for an approximately 10 percent equity stake in ZTO;
- Internet Plus Holdings Ltd. (now known as Meituan Dianping) in its acquisition of the bike-sharing firm Mobike Ltd;
- Bytedance, VSPN and other companies in their late-stage private equity financings;
- ZhongAn Online P&C Insurance Co. Ltd. in its US$100 million joint venture with SoftBank Vision Fund;
- WeWork Companies, Inc. in a US$500 million investment in WeWork China led by Trustbridge Partners, Temasek, SoftBank, SoftBank Vision Fund, and Hony Capital;
- Renren Inc., the owner of Kaixin Auto Group, in Kaixin’s US$454 million combination with CM Seven Star Acquisition Corporation;
- FountainVest Partners in:
- its establishment of a joint venture in China with WME | IMG together with Sequoia Capital China and Tencent; and
- a large number of investments in leading China-based businesses, such as DIH Technology Limited and Codoon;
- Ping An ZQ China Growth Opportunity Limited in a US$210 million strategic investment in the NYSE-listed Nu Skin Enterprises;
- ZQ Capital Limited in a leveraged buyout transaction for the acquisition of Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, a medical device manufacturer;
- LionRock Capital in connection with several investment and acquisition transactions; and
- Horizons Ventures Limited, the private investment arm of Li Ka-Shing, in its investments in various early-stage technology companies based in the United States and Canada.
Mr. Niu also has experience in certain other areas of law, including SEC-registered securities offerings, Rule 144A and Regulation S private placements and private investment fund formation. Mr. Niu joined Skadden’s New York office in 2013, before relocating to the Hong Kong office.