For more than 20 years, Mr. Raman has represented financial institutions in connection with complex government investigations, class action litigation, enforcement, regulatory and administrative actions. His work has spanned the entire range of consumer financial services issues and has involved some of the most significant matters in the field, including numerous representations in the areas of fair lending, unfair, deceptive and abusive acts or practices, subprime lending, automobile finance, credit reporting, mortgage fraud, redlining, credit card practices and mortgage loan servicing.
Mr. Raman repeatedly has been ranked in Band 1 in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, in which clients have recognized him for being "highly valued for the way in which he can ... go to the next level and think creatively about additional strategies," for his "breadth of experience dealing with financial services matters and with regulators at a very high level," and for providing "world-class customer service." Among his notable recent representations are:
- Build Commonwealth, Inc. in obtaining the first-ever approval by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) under its Compliance Assistance Sandbox policy, relating to employee emergency savings accounts;
- Freedom Debt Relief in resolving an inquiry by the New York Attorney General regarding marketing of debt resolution services;
- Santander Consumer, USA in connection with an inquiry by the CFPB in connection with auto lending ancillary products and servicing;
- Wells Fargo Bank in connection with an inquiry by the CFPB regarding sales practices;
- BancorpSouth Bank in connection with a fair lending inquiry by the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and the CFPB; and
- PHH Mortgage Corporation and PHH Home Loans Inc. in connection with an inquiry by the New York Department of Financial Services relating to mortgage servicing.
Mr. Raman has an active practice counseling many of the nation’s largest financial institutions and service providers on fair lending and compliance matters. He also regularly handles matters before the CFPB, DOJ, Federal Trade Commission, federal and state bank regulatory agencies (including the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the Federal Reserve Board) and state attorneys general.
Mr. Raman, whose undergraduate degree is in statistics, has extensive experience in the statistical review and analysis of lending data. He has published articles on topics including mortgage loan servicing, social media, third-party liability and lending risk management. He also is experienced in the fields of e-gaming and payment processing, and advises individuals and companies in connection with these issues and with tax evasion, fraud and false statement, and other criminal investigations and prosecutions by the DOJ.
Mr. Raman is a fellow in the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers.