Skadden’s global securities litigation practice is widely regarded as one of the most preeminent groups of attorneys focused on challenging, high-stakes securities litigation matters — “bet-the-company” cases that demand a full range of skills, in and out of the courtroom. We secured more victories and reached more resolutions for defendants in federal securities cases than any other firm from 2015 to 2020, according to Lex Machina. In addition, more defendants trusted Skadden as their legal counsel in nationwide federal securities filings in 2020 than any other firm, according to Lex Machina’s 2021 Law Firms Activity Report.
Our litigators have extensive experience in trial and appellate courts at the federal and state levels, before administrative tribunals, in arbitrations and other dispute resolution proceedings, and before government agencies. We represent clients in securities class actions and derivative actions across a wide range of industries, including, among many others:
- Biotechnology and Life Sciences
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Energy and Utilities
- Financial Institutions, Hedge Funds and Private Equity
- Health Care
- Industrial and Manufacturing
- Metals and Mining
- Retail, Food and Beverage
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Transportation and Automotive
- “They seem to really have the client’s interests at the top of their list."
- “They are best in class. Strategic, thoughtful, and highly skilled, they’re utterly devoted to achieving the client’s objectives and wider business goals.”
- “The attorneys are incredibly professional and competent, and the work they do is flawless. They’re always available and respond immediately. At times I’ve felt like their only client.”
- “They are responsive and insightful, and provide top-notch legal work day in day out.”
- “They are at the top of the list for securities, and deal with some of the preeminent litigation that’s going on,” states a source. “They are also good in so many other areas and can flag up so many problems.”
- “The lawyers are great to work with – they’re responsive, the quality is excellent and the work product is great.”
Skadden has been recognized by numerous publications for our securities litigation work. A client tells Chambers USA 2020, "They are best in class. Strategic, thoughtful, and highly skilled, they're utterly devoted to achieving the client's objectives and wider business goals." Recent accolades include:
- Consistently ranked in the top tier for nationwide securities litigation, including in 2020 – Chambers USA
- Voted No. 1 for Securities Litigation in 2020 and every year since 2011 – Vault’s Best Law Firms
- Tier 1 in Securities Litigation in 2020 – Benchmark Litigation
- 2020 Litigation Department of the Year finalist in General Litigation – New York Law Journal
- For nine consecutive years, named a member of the Fearsome Foursome – the four elite law firm litigation practices that general counsel would "least want to face across the table in litigation" – BTI Consulting Group
- Tier 1 for 2020 in Securities Litigation Defense – The Legal 500
- "Powerhouse" for securities and finance litigation – BTI’s 2020 Litigation Outlook report
- Named 2020 Law Firm of the Year for Securities Litigation and Mergers and Acquisitions Litigation – U.S. News Best Lawyers Best Law Firms
- Recognized among the top firms for delivering the best client service – BTI's 2020 Client Service All-Starts A-Team Report
We represent clients ranging from Fortune 100 to emerging market companies in every industry in securities litigation matters around the world. A few recent representations include, among others:
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
- Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc.
- Banco Itaú S.A.
- Bank of America
- Baxter International Inc.
- BlackRock, Inc.
- BRF S.A.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- Canopy Growth Corporation
- Cheetah Mobile Inc.
- Citigroup Inc.
- Embraer S.A.
- FedEx Corporation
- Foot Locker Retail, Inc.
- Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., Groupon
- Johnson & Johnson
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Nokia Corporation
- Pfizer Inc.
- Portland General Electric
- Realogy Holdings Corp.
- Société Générale S.A.
- Sprint Corporation
- Southwestern Energy
- UBS Group AG
- Vivint Solar, Inc.
Skadden’s global securities litigation presence positions us to advise clients around the world on U.S. securities litigation issues. Our U.S.-trained litigators, based in Europe, Asia and Latin America, have the unique ability to assemble collaborative teams with deep and relevant experience across our worldwide platform.
We represent issuers and financial institutions from all over the world, including:
- United Kingdom
Skadden’s integrated, multidisciplinary team of trial support consultants assists our litigators in a variety of contexts, including with client presentations, appearances before regulatory bodies, mediation or arbitration, and in the courtroom.
Our attorneys work with our trial support consultants to develop trial themes and arguments, conduct research, prepare witnesses to testify, distill complex ideas into understandable and appealing visuals, plan for smooth and efficient courtroom logistics, and provide fast and comprehensive access to critical information in high-stakes situations.
From early testing of case themes to real-time evaluations of potential jurors based on our database of several thousand questionnaires, our jury research efforts support our litigators through:
- focus groups and mock trials;
- theme development;
- witness preparation; and
- jury selection.
Our trial support consultants efficiently manage the process associated with the entire trial, including evidence preparation tasks like pretrial filings, exhibit lists, deposition designations and case records. They also plan the on-site logistics for trial, such as identifying locations, coordinating contract negotiations and developing budgets; they then manage every aspect of the litigation “war room” to ensure that they meet any and all production requests during the course of the trial while facilitating seamless coordination of courtroom mechanics
Our trial support consultants conceive and create compelling, persuasive graphics for use at trial, making it easier for jurors and judges to understand the case. They also possess the technological know-how to ensure that presentations are flawlessly executed, avoiding the negative impression that technical difficulties or poorly presented visuals can make.
- Securities Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Update
- In Affirming Dismissal of Securities Fraud Suit, Ninth Circuit Highlights How Stock Price Recovery Can Prevent Pleading of Loss Causation
- Despite Pandemic-Related Disruptions, Securities Class Action Filings Remain High With No Signs of Slowing
- The State of Securities Class Actions: 2020 Trends and a Look Ahead
- 13th Annual Securities Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Update | Part Four: Developments and Trends in Securities Litigation: A Year-End Update for 2020 and a Look Ahead to 2021
- 13th Annual Securities Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Update | Part Two: Emerging Trends in Delaware Law