Louis Artime’s experience includes working for public and private companies in a broad range of general corporate and IP/IT-related transactions, including U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs, and divestitures and financings.
Some of the more significant engagements in which Mr. Artime has been involved include:
- the joint venture by Buzzfeed Inc. with Yahoo Japan Corporation to establish Buzzfeed Japan;
- the acquisition by Furukawa Electric Co. Ltd. of SuperPower Inc. from the Philips Group;
- the $4.2 billion spin-off and joint venture by Intel Corporation with TPG Capital, L.P. to form the independent cybersecurity company McAfee;
- the $621 million acquisition by Jackson National Life Insurance Company of the U.S. life reinsurance operations of Swiss Re;
- the joint venture agreement by The Japan Atomic Power Company with Exelon;
- the $267.5 million acquisition by J. C. Penney from Liz Claiborne Inc. of the worldwide rights to the LIZ CLAIBORNE family of brands as well as the United States and Puerto Rico rights for the MONET jewelry brand;
- the restructuring sponsorship by Key Safety Systems of Takata Corporation;
- an agreement by Miraca Holdings, Inc. to form a genetic testing service joint venture company with Baylor College of Medicine;
- the £844 million acquisition by Nikkei Inc. of the Financial Times Group from Pearson PLC;
- the acquisition by Nippon Shokubai Co., Ltd. of Sirrus, Inc.;
- the $3.5 billion acquisition by Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. of Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc., its $886 million acquisition of Astex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and its $430 million acquisition of Visterra, Inc.;
- the $173 million acquisition by Pacific Industrial Co., Ltd. of the Schrader valves business from Sensata Technologies Holdings plc; and
- the $2.6 billion initial public offering by Pfizer Inc. of its animal health business and the related research, development and collaboration agreement and intellectual property license agreements between Pfizer Inc. and Zoetis Inc.;
- Sekisui Chemical Co., Ltd. in its $510 million acquisition of AIM Aerospace Corporation;
- the $1.1 billion acquisition by Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation of Flagship Rail Services LLC; and
- Toshiba Corporation in its (by itself or through its subsidiaries) taking private of its three publicly traded subsidiaries.
Mr. Artime joined the Corporate Group of Skadden’s Tokyo office in March 2014 from the firm’s New York office, where he practiced in the Mergers and Acquisitions and Intellectual Property and Technology groups since 2010.
Mr. Artime took leave from Skadden from September 2012 to June 2013 in order to complete advanced Japanese language study at the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama, Japan, administered by Stanford University.