Peter Beaumont acts as counsel in international commercial arbitrations and cross-border litigation in the U.K. and a range of other jurisdictions. His significant experience extends across a range of industry sectors, including finance and banking, energy, shipping, retail, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications.
Mr. Beaumont’s representative matters include:
- acting (and appearing as junior counsel) for a Cypriot and a Bermudian company in an LCIA arbitration in relation to contractual disputes arising under a distribution agreement
- acting for a number of offshore trust companies in relation to extremely high-value contentious trust proceedings in Bermuda
- acting for a high-net-worth individual in a jurisdiction challenge and response to multiple applications for worldwide freezing orders in relation to claims in excess of US$100 million for alleged fraudulent misrepresentation in connection with the sale of loan notes in Russia
- acting for a Cypriot company in a “speedy trial” of a shareholder dispute relating to the sale of shares in a major nickel company and the exercise of a right of first refusal
- acting for a British Virgin Islands company in a series of multibillion-dollar LCIA arbitrations and related BVI proceedings between the shareholders of a leading international telecommunications company
- acting for a major Turkish construction company in connection with the strategy for the enforcement of an ICC arbitration award against an African state concerning a series of high-profile construction projects
- acting in an LCIA arbitration involving a claim to enforce an introducing agent’s commission arising against the backdrop of the Lava Jato corruption investigations in Brazil
- acting for the government of South Sudan in its highly publicized and strategically important arbitration with Sudapet Co. Ltd concerning the disputed ownership of significant oil field interests (with a disputed amount exceeding US$1 billion)
- acting for a major investment bank in relation to the investigation of allegations that foreign currency dealers conspired to manipulate benchmark currency exchange rates
Mr. Beaumont also assists on a variety of pro bono projects, including recently providing advice to an international organization assisting refugees in relation to international human rights law. In recognition of his work in international arbitration and litigation, he was named one of Best Lawyers’ 2023 Ones To Watch.