Peter Beaumont acts as counsel in international commercial arbitrations and cross-border litigation in the U.K. and a range of other jurisdictions. His significant experience extends across a range of industry sectors, including finance and banking, energy, shipping, retail, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications.
Mr. Beaumont’s representative matters include:
- acting (and appearing as junior counsel) for a Cypriot and a Bermudian company in an LCIA arbitration in relation to contractual disputes arising under a distribution agreement;
- acting for a number of offshore trust companies in relation to extremely high-value contentious trust proceedings in Bermuda;
- acting for a high-net-worth individual in a jurisdiction challenge and response to multiple applications for worldwide freezing orders in relation to claims in excess of US$100 million for alleged fraudulent misrepresentation in connection with the sale of loan notes in Russia;
- acting for a Cypriot company in a “speedy trial” of a shareholder dispute relating to the sale of shares in a major nickel company and the exercise of a right of first refusal;
- acting for a British Virgin Islands company in a series of multibillion-dollar LCIA arbitrations and related BVI proceedings between the shareholders of a leading international telecommunications company;
- acting for a major Turkish construction company in connection with the strategy for the enforcement of an ICC arbitration award against an African state concerning a series of high-profile construction projects;
- acting in an LCIA arbitration involving a claim to enforce an introducing agent’s commission arising against the backdrop of the Lava Jato corruption investigations in Brazil;
- acting for the government of South Sudan in its highly publicized and strategically important arbitration with Sudapet Co. Ltd concerning the disputed ownership of significant oil field interests (with a disputed amount exceeding US$1 billion); and
- acting for a major investment bank in relation to the investigation of allegations that foreign currency dealers conspired to manipulate benchmark currency exchange rates.
Mr. Beaumont also assists on a variety of pro bono projects, including recently providing advice to an international organization assisting refugees in relation to international human rights law.