Arthur Chan represents public and private companies, private equity funds and major financial institutions in a range of corporate transactions, including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, minority and control investments, disposals, fund formation, co-investment and other corporate matters.
Mr. Chan’s recent experience includes representing:
- Axiata Group Berhad in:
- its US$30 billion proposed merger-of-equals with Telenor Group’s Asia Pacific business, across 10 countries; and
- Celcom Axiata Berhad’s merger with Digi Berhad. The transaction was valued at over US$12 billion and is the largest-ever telecom transaction in Malaysia;
- Grab Holdings Inc. in its US$40 billion merger with Altimeter Growth Corp. As a result of the merger, Grab will become a Nasdaq-listed company in the largest-ever de-SPAC transaction globally and the largest-ever U.S. equity offering by a Southeast Asian company, with PIPE proceeds of US$4.04 billion;
- Auchan Retail S.A. in:
- its US$3.6 billion sale of a 70.9% stake in A-RT Retail Holdings Limited to Taobao China Holding Limited; and
- Alibaba’s US$2.88 billion investment in Auchan’s Hong Kong-listed subsidiary Sun Art Retail Group Ltd, and the strategic alliance between Auchan, Alibaba and Ruentex Group. This transaction was named M&A Deal of the Year at the 2018 China Law & Practice Awards;
- MassMutual International in its US$1.7 billion sale of MassMutual Asia Ltd. to an investor group led by Yunfeng Financial Group Limited. This transaction was named as one of the Overseas M&A Deals of the Year for 2017 by China Business Law Journal;
- Aboitiz Equity Ventures Inc., along with Aboitiz & Company, in the US$1.6 billion sale of a 27% stake in Aboitiz Power Corporation to JERA Co., Inc.;
- Trip.com Group Limited (formerly, Ctrip.com International, Ltd.) in its US$1.7 billion acquisition of Skyscanner Holdings Limited;
- The We Company (WeWork) in:
- the US$200 million acquisition of control by Trustbridge Partners in WeWork Greater China Holding Company BV; and
- its acquisition of Naked Hub, a co-working space provider based in Shanghai, with locations in China, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Australia; and
- SSG Capital Holdings Limited in its sale of a controlling stake to Ares Management Corporation.
Mr. Chan also has worked in Skadden’s Beijing and London offices.
- Postgraduate Certificate In Laws, University of Hong Kong, 2015
- B.A. (Law), University of Oxford, 2014
- England & Wales
- Hong Kong
- New York