As part of his practice, Mr. Hewitt advises on global foreign investment control review processes and filings in the context of corporate transactions as a member of Skadden’s foreign investment screening team. He has advised on recent transactions in the defense, logistics, cybersecurity, robotics, technology, fintech, and space and satellite technologies sectors. Mr. Hewitt’s experience also includes — prior to joining Skadden — advising state-owned investors on the long-standing and highly complex Australian foreign direct investment review regime.
He has been involved in both approved and contentious applications with various political dynamics in play, including in direct engagement with government and defense stakeholders. He also has advised government and private sector actors on state agreements in the mining, oil and gas, transport and logistics sectors.
Mr. Hewitt’s recent experience includes advising:
- numerous companies in relation to foreign investment controls, including: Dell Technologies Inc. in its US$4 billion sale of Boomi, Inc. to Francisco Partners and TPG Capital; Visa Inc. in its US$2.2 billion acquisition of Tink AB; the shareholders of SEEPEX GmbH in the US$514 million sale of SEEPEX to Ingersoll Rand Inc.; DSV Panalpina A/S in its US$4.2 billion acquisition of the global integrated logistics business of Agility Public Warehousing Company K.S.C.P.; Veritas Capital in its $1.35 billion sale of Abaco Systems, Inc., a provider of computing and electronic systems for aerospace, defense and specialized industrial markets, and its $2.8 billion acquisition, along with Evergreen Coast Capital Corporation, of Cubic Corporation, a leading provider of live, virtual, constructive and game-based training solutions for U.S. and allied forces; Castik Capital S.à.r.l. in its acquisition of a majority stake in Element Logic; Castik Capital S.á.r.l. and ABRY Partners, LLC in their joint acquisition of Xexec and Reward Gateway; and funds advised by Energy Infrastructure Partners AG in a €530 million investment for a 49% stake in BayWa r.e. renewable energy GmbH
- Coty Inc. in its strategic partnership with KKR & Co. Inc. including the carve-out sale of 60% of its professional beauty and retail hair businesses to KKR with an enterprise value of US$4.3 billion
- Pret A Manger (Europe) Ltd, a portfolio company of JAB Holding Company LLC, in its acquisition of EAT Limited
- Engen Limited in the sale of certain downstream assets in 10 countries in Africa to Vivo Energy Holding BV in exchange for a minority stake in Vivo
- DH Private Equity Partners and Middenberm Group in the US$2 billion sale of TMF Group Holding B.V. to funds advised by CVC Capital Partners Limited, and TMF Group in connection with its proposed IPO and listing admission on the premium segment of the London Stock Exchange
- Toshiba in connection with the filing of voluntary petitions under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code by Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC and certain of its subsidiaries and affiliates
Mr. Hewitt completed a secondment to the corporate legal team of BlueScope Steel (an ASX-listed manufacturer) in 2013. He was a finalist in the mergers and acquisitions category of the Australian Lawyers Weekly’s 30 Under 30 awards in 2015. Prior to joining Skadden, Mr. Hewitt was a senior associate in the Melbourne, Australia, office of another leading global law firm.