Dr. Sarah Johnen advises domestic and international management and supervisory boards in connection with corporate governance, internal investigations and compliance matters. She has broad experience defending government inquiries and conducting internal investigations in bribery, accounting irregularities and related matters.
Dr. Johnen’s experience includes advising, among others:
- the supervisory board of Continental AG in an internal investigation in connection with car emissions and related corporate governance matters;
- the board of directors of a Middle East-based developer and operator of power generation plants in an internal investigation into fraud, bribery and corruption allegations relating to a southeast Asia energy project;
- funds advised by Energy Infrastructure Partners AG in a €530 million investment for a 49% stake in BayWa r.e. renewable energy GmbH;
- the management board of an international automobile manufacturer regarding consequence management in connection with diesel emissions;
- a multinational company in the logistics sector in several internal investigations concerning alleged corruption and accounting irregularities;
- the managing directors of a German investment company on the decision-making process regarding the assertion of claims against a D&O insurer;
- the internal audit department of a multinational company in the logistics sector in an internal review of alleged corruption and accounting irregularities; and
- a multinational shipping company in an internal investigation concerning alleged corruption.
Dr. Johnen was named to Best Lawyers’ Ones to Watch list in 2021. She is a member of the firm’s German Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.