Mr. Kerlin regularly advises clients, in the U.S. and internationally, on overlapping issues of multipronged litigation, enforcement and risk management. These matters involve antitrust practices and market manipulation, U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, government contracts, health care fraud, defamation claims and False Claims Act (FCA) violations.
Mr. Kerlin also assists clients in conducting internal investigations and in addressing government actions, including before the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), state attorneys general and other domestic regulators and agencies. He also has counseled clients in matters involving a range of international regulators and competition agencies in the U.K., Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, South Africa and Switzerland, as well as involving the European Commission. In addition, Mr. Kerlin has prior senior government relations experience and supports clients during congressional inquiries, as well as regarding legislative matters and public policy issues.
- assisting a global financial institution in responding to parallel investigations by the DOJ, CFTC, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Reserve, SEC, U.K. Financial Conduct Authority and more than a dozen other foreign authorities alleging anti-competitive practices in foreign exchange trading
- representing a financial institution in domestic and cross-border antitrust class actions and other litigation alleging foreign currency dealers conspired to manipulate benchmark currency rates
- representing a financial institution in a CFTC investigation relating to potential collusion, manipulation and/or group boycotts concerning interest rate swaps
- assisting a major company involved in congressional investigations into the Deepwater Horizon/BP oil spill
- conducting an internal investigation into improper sales and inventory practices by a computer company’s Asian subsidiary
- defending a nationwide hospital system in an action brought by the DOJ alleging violations of the FCA
- representing a transportation logistics company in an FCA investigation involving allegations that the company submitted false and inflated invoices to a federal agency
- providing regulatory guidance to communications and technology companies
Mr. Kerlin also handles a variety of pro bono matters focusing on voting rights, democracy initiatives and federal criminal defense issues at all levels, including amicus briefings before the U.S. Supreme Court.