Devika Khopkar focuses on international arbitration and commercial litigation, with particular experience in investor-state arbitration and India-related disputes.
Ms. Khopkar has experience in arbitrations under various arbitral rules, including those of the ICC, LCIA and ICSID, as well as arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules administered by the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Her notable experience includes:
- representing Vodafone International Holdings B.V. and Vodafone Group Plc in pending investment treaty proceedings against the Republic of India valued at several billion U.S. dollars;
- acting for a large Middle Eastern company in the construction and real estate sector in its dispute with an Indian property developer;
- acting for a major supplier of manganese ore in an LCIA arbitration against a Chinese company arising out of the breach of a commodity purchase agreement;
- representing a French entity previously operating in the pharmaceutical sector in a post-acquisition dispute relating to indemnity payments;
- successfully representing a European telecommunications company in a multibillion-dollar ICC arbitration relating to a patent licence agreement governed by New York law; and;
- advising a leading international telecommunications company in a multibillion-dollar investment treaty claim against a South Asian state, resulting in a favourable settlement.