Mr. Motta advises clients on antitrust aspects of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. He has been involved in some of the most high-profile and complex merger control cases in numerous transactions requiring international antitrust merger control approvals, both in Europe and on a worldwide basis, for companies in the energy, telecommunications, financial services, pharmaceutical, consumer goods and many other industries.
Mr. Motta also advises clients in state aid, cartels, as well as EU and Italian competition law issues relating to vertical restraints and dominance. He has represented clients in Article 101 investigations in relation to cartels, trade association membership, strategic alliances, distribution arrangements and other vertical agreements, both before the European Commission and the Italian Competition Authority.
Mr. Motta’s recent experience includes advising on the following transactions:
- WABCO Holdings Inc. in its $7 billion acquisition by ZF Friedrichshafen AG;
- Hg in its:
- investments in Litera Microsystems and Visma; and
- £410 million sale of U.K.-based visual effects producer Foundry to Roper Technologies, a U.S.-headquartered technology company specializing in niche markets;
- A. Schulman, Inc. in its $2.25 billion acquisition by LyondellBasell Industries N.V.;
- HighQ Solutions Limited in its sale to Thomson Reuters Corporation;
- International Paper Company in its acquisition of two packaging businesses in northwestern France and Portugal from DS Smith Plc;
- I Squared Capital in its acquisition of PEMA from Société Générale;
- HP Inc. in its acquisition of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd’s printer business;
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company in its merger-of-equals with The Dow Chemical Company;
- Rockwell Collins Inc. in its acquisition of B/E Aerospace Inc.; and
- Konecranes Plc in connection with its proposed acquisition of Terex Corporation’s material handling and port solutions unit; and its proposed, but terminated, all-stock merger with Terex Corporation.
Mr. Motta has been included in the 2018 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Competition. He also is a non-governmental adviser for the activities of the International Competition Network.