Mr. Schnell also has been recognized globally and in the U.S. as a leading lawyer in areas such as M&A/Corporate (having the highest Band 1 ranking in Chambers in each of the U.S., International and Cross-Border, Latin America and Brazil), private equity, corporate governance, corporate, finance and health care. Surveys that recognize Mr. Schnell include Chambers Global, Chambers USA, U.S. News and World Report, The Best Lawyers in America, Who’s Who Legal, Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, IFLR1000 and Chambers Latin America.
Mr. Schnell has received numerous accolades for his work, including being named multiple times as a Dealmaker of the Year and Dealmaker of the Week by The American Lawyer and as a leading lawyer for the Financial Times’ most innovative M&A transactions.
Mr. Schnell consistently is involved each year in dozens of transactions, with many having a value in excess of $1 billion. The aggregate dollar value of the deals he has worked on in recent years is in the hundreds of billions. He has worked extensively in the U.S., Latin America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, including in all of the BRIC countries.
Mr. Schnell has been active in virtually every industry, including, for example:
- Health Care: Becton Dickinson, Caris, Catalent, Centene, Grupo Ferrer, Humana, MC-21, National Veterinary Associates, OrthoNet, Pfizer, Rede D’Or, RIMSA, Well-Dyne and Win Healthcare;
- Transportation: Avianca, Embraer, Marcopolo, Renault, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Triton International and Union Pacific;
- Consumer: AmBev, Anheuser-Busch, Caribou Coffee, Coty, Empresas Polar, Jacobs, Douwe Egberts, Jos. A Bank, Keurig Dr. Pepper, Krispy Kreme, Panera, Peet’s Coffee, Pret a Manger, Quinenco and WhistlePig;
- Industrial/Infrastructure: Air Products and Chemicals, Ash Grove Cement, Braskem, BRF, Cimento Tupi, Gerdau, Grupo Gondi, Grupo Mexico, Odebrecht, Pacific Oil & Gas Limited, RGE Pte., A. Schulman, Southern Copper and Ultrapar;
- Financial Institutions: Banco BBM, Bank of America, BlackRock, Centerview, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Evercore, Goldman Sachs, Grupo Sul America, Jefferies, JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley;
- Private Equity/Family Office: Apax, Carlyle, GP Investimentos, JAB Holding and Tarpon;
- Technology, Media &Telecom: Al Jazeera, America Movil, Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) and Hasbro;
- Services: Adtalem and Heidrick & Struggles; and
- SPACs: GPIAC.
Mr. Schnell coordinates the firm’s worldwide health care practice and is active in all sectors of the industry, including pharmaceuticals, services, medical devices and life sciences. He also co-chairs the firm’s Latin America practice.
Mr. Schnell has chaired the editorial board of The M&A Lawyer, a leading M&A publication, since its founding in 1997. The editorial board is made up of leading M&A lawyers from around the world. He also writes and lectures frequently on M&A, corporate governance, private equity and international finance. Mr. Schnell also chairs the annual M&A Latin Lawyer Conference in Latin America.
Mr. Schnell has been a guest teacher at a number of law schools, including Columbia Law School, Harvard Law School, University of Pennsylvania Law School and Vanderbilt University Law School.
He also serves in leadership positions at numerous educational, arts, social justice and other not-for-profit organizations.
Mr. Schnell has been active in firm management, including serving on Skadden’s governing body, the Policy Committee, and co-chairing the Client Engagement Committee.