Mr. Ahmad represents public and private clients and private equity sponsors in a variety of U.S. and cross-border corporate transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, investments, joint-ventures, restructurings and REIT matters. He works extensively on the structuring and formation of limited liability companies and other alternative entities for use in private equity transactions, joint ventures and other complex business arrangements.
Notable representations include:
- Corporation Service Company in its pending $2 billion public offer for Intertrust Group;
- MorphoSys AG in its $1.7 billion acquisition of Constellation Pharmaceuticals and its related financing from Royalty Pharma totaling over $2 billion;
- New Residential Investment Corp., a mortgage REIT, in its $1.675 billion acquisition of Caliber Home Loans, Inc.;
- The RMR Group, a $32 billion alternative asset management company focused on commercial real estate and related businesses, and its public and private managed clients with respect to corporate transactions and general corporate and securities matters;
- RMR Mortgage Trust in its all-stock merger with Tremont Mortgage Trust and related transactions;
- JLL Partners, a leading private equity sponsor, in a number of transactions, including its:
- acquisition of Jonathan Engineered Solutions, a designer and manufacturer of enclosures for defense, commercial aerospace and specialty industrial end markets and two subsequent add-on transactions;
- acquisition of Modus Create, a specialized software services firm;
- acquisition of Secretariat Advisors, a specialty consulting firm, and two subsequent add-on transactions;
- investment in Breakwater Solutions, a consulting, software and managed services company addressing information governance and data technology;
- sale of Loar Group, a diversified manufacturer and supplier of aerospace and defense components; and
- acquisition of Xact Data Discovery, a provider of litigation support services and electronic discovery, data management and managed review services;
- American Dental Partners, a dental practice management company, in its sale to Heartland Dental;
- Stemline Therapeutics Inc., a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its sale to Menarini Group for $677 million;
- Alcon in its $355 million acquisition of the U.S. commercialization rights to Simbrinza from Novartis;
- Sonesta International Hotels in the restructuring of its management agreements with Service Properties Trust, and recapitalization;
Vertex Pharmaceuticals in its $950 million acquisition of Semma Therapeutics, Inc.;
- The Blommer Chocolate Company in its sale to Fuji Oil;
- Carbonite in its:
- sale to OpenText for $1.42 billion; and
- $618.5 million acquisition of Webroot;
- Forrester Research in its $245 million acquisition of Sirius Decisions;
- Modular Space Holdings in its $1.2 billion sale to WillScot Corporation;
- Patheon N.V. in its initial public offering and subsequent $7.2 billion sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific;
- DPx Holdings in its acquisitions of Patheon Inc. and the concurrent contribution of Royal DSM’s pharmaceutical business, and the subsequent acquisitions of three pharmaceutical services businesses;
- BioClinica, a global provider of clinical trial services and technology to contract research organizations, in several acquisitions and its $1.4 billion sale to Cinven;
- Windstream Holdings in its $1.1 billion acquisition of EarthLink Holdings;
- 2U, Inc. in its acquisition of GetSmarter;
- MFP Partners, LP in its minority investment in First Security Group, Inc., a publicly traded bank holding company, and in its investment in Cache, Inc., a nationwide, mall-based specialty retailer of sportswear;
- Drogaria Onofre Ltd., Brazil’s eighth-largest drugstore chain, in its sale to CVS Caremark Corporation;
- TOMS Shoes in its sale of a 50% interest in TOMS to Bain Capital, and related transactions;
- Sequential Brands Group in its acquisition of Heelys by virtue of a negotiated topping bid to an announced transaction; and
- Wilmington Trust in its merger with M&T Bank Corporation.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Ahmad is active in firm management, including serving on the firm’s Global Diversity Committee and as co-chair of the Wilmington office’s Hiring Committee.
He is a member of the Alternative Entity subcommittee of the Corporation Law Council, which is responsible for reviewing and recommending revisions to the Delaware Limited Liability Company Act, Limited Partnership Act and General Partnership Act. He has served in various leadership positions with the South Asian Bar Association of North America and as president of its Delaware chapter. He also was a fellow with the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity.
Mr. Ahmad has been recognized in IFLR1000 and was named a Delaware Lawyer on the Fast Track by The Delaware Law Weekly.
From 2009-10, he served as counsel to Acumen Fund, a global patient capital impact investing fund focused on early-stage enterprises that provide low-income consumers with access to health care, water, housing, alternative energy or agricultural inputs.