Jisun Choi works on cross-border and domestic U.K. corporate and financing tax matters, both transactional and advisory, for a wide range of clients, including multinational corporations, private equity funds and financial institutions.
Ms. Choi is a member of Skadden’s tax practice and her recent work on a cross-border takeover contributed to Skadden being named “Transatlantic Tax Team of the Year” by The American Lawyer and Legal Week at the 2018 Transatlantic Legal Awards.
Her experience includes advising on the tax aspects of:
- private acquisitions and disposals of multinational businesses, including management buyouts, sales of businesses in administration and auction sales;
- redomiciling companies and other capital market transactions, including public takeovers, initial and secondary listings of equity and debt instruments, and return of value to shareholders;
- international tax structures, including group holding structures, the use of the U.K. as a holding company jurisdiction and inbound investment structures;
- group reorganisations and restructurings, including demergers of businesses and integration planning following acquisitions; and
- banking and derivative transactions, including bank credit facilities and private placement arrangements.
Notable transactional matters include advising:
- Westfield Corporation in the demerger of OneMarket, a retail technology network business, in connection with its acquisition by Unibail-Rodamco SE;
- Phoenix Group Holdings Limited in its £2.93 billion acquisition of Standard Life Assurance and associated £950 million rights issue;
- Vantiv, Inc. in its US$10.4 billion acquisition of Worldpay Group plc. This deal was named International Tax Review’s 2018 Americas Technology and Telecom Tax Deal of the Year;
- Ctrip.com International, Ltd. in its US$1.7 billion acquisition of Skyscanner Holdings Limited;
- Cardinal Health, Inc. in its US$6.1 billion acquisition of Medtronic plc’s medical supplies businesses; and
- Ball Corporation in its US$8.4 billion acquisition of Rexam plc and simultaneous divestiture of US$3.4 billion in assets to Ardagh Group.
Ms. Choi participates in a number of Skadden’s pro bono projects. She has advised a number of local charities and not-for-profit organisations on their constitution and legal form and regularly volunteers at a legal advice clinic that assists victims of domestic violence and advises on other family issues.