Mr. Cohen has represented both buyers and sellers in numerous large and middle-market mergers and acquisitions. His clients include private equity funds and their portfolio companies as well as private and public companies, entrepreneurs and family businesses. In addition, he has counseled clients on numerous investments in distressed debt and acquisitions of distressed businesses.
Mr. Cohen’s representations have included clients in an array of industries, such as apparel, beauty, energy, food, consumer products, retail, gaming, banking, sports and media, among others. In addition, he routinely counsels corporations and their officers and directors on securities and corporate governance matters.
Mr. Cohen’s experience, creativity and background in finance enable him to effectively address clients’ business needs. He repeatedly has been recognized for his work, including in Chambers USA, which notes his “expert handling of complex transactional matters” and reports that clients regard him as a skilled negotiator with a “high attention to detail.” His achievements also have been noted by The Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 U.S., IFLR1000 and the Los Angeles Business Journal, which included him among the Who’s Who in L.A. Law, the top 40 Most Influential M&A Advisors in Los Angeles and one of the top five corporate lawyers in Los Angeles. He was a key member of the deal teams recognized in The Recorder’s 2017 Corporate Department of the Year contest, in which Skadden took top honors in the U.S. M&A and Cross-Border M&A categories. The Daily Journal profiled Mr. Cohen in a cover story documenting Skadden’s success in building a substantial corporate practice in Los Angeles and recognized him as one of the top 10 private equity lawyers in California.
Strategic Mergers and Acquisitions
- AdvancePierre Foods Holdings, Inc. in its $4.2 billion acquisition by Tyson Foods, Inc.;
- Saban Capital Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in its proposed but terminated acquisition of Panavision Inc. and Sim Video International Inc.;
- Total Merchant Services, Inc. in its acquisition by North American Bancard Holdings, LLC;
- Cardenas Markets, Inc. in the sale of its retail grocery business to an affiliate of KKR & Co. L.P.;
- Del Real Foods in an investment by Palladium Equity Partners, LLC;
- Performance Sports Group in the acquisition of the assets of the hockey equipment business of Easton Hockey;
- GLAMGLOW and its owners in the sale of substantially all of its assets to The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.;
- CircusTrix Holdings, LLC and its principal owners in a significant investment by an affiliate of Palladium Equity Partners, LLC;
- Z Gallerie in its strategic partnership with Brentwood Associates, Inc.;
- OPI Products, Inc. and its owners in connection with the sale of the company to Coty Inc.;
- Jerrod Blandino and Jeremy Johnson, co-founders of Too Faced Cosmetics, LLC, in the company’s acquisition by The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.;
- Serge Azria and The Collected Group f/k/a Dutch, LLC in a majority investment by TA Associates in Dutch, the global fashion company behind the JOIE, Equipment and Current/Elliott brands;
- BCBG Max Azria Group, LLC in its recapitalization transaction with affiliates of Guggenheim Partners and other investors, strengthening its capital structure and positioning it for future growth;
- Oakley, Inc. in the sale of the company to Luxottica Group S.p.A (Italy);
- Pierre Foods, Inc. in the acquisition of Advance Foods Company and Advance Brands, AdvancePierre Foods in multiple acquisitions;
- American Apparel Inc. in the sale of the company to a special purpose acquisition company and in various other matters;
- The News Corporation Limited and Fox Entertainment Group, Inc. in the purchase and subsequent sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers and investments in other sports assets, including the Staples Center; and
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art in connection with an acquisition.
- Stone Point Capital LLC and its portfolio company Stretto (f/k/a Bankruptcy Management Solutions, Inc.) in the acquisition of Credit Infonet Holdings, Inc. (doing business as CINgroup);
- The Power Opportunities Group of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in a partnership with Sachs Electric Co.;
- Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in its controlling investment in My Alarm Center, LLC;
- Ready Pac Foods, Inc. and its majority stockholder, H.I.G. Bayside Capital, in the acquisition of Ready Pac Foods by Bonduelle, SAS;
- Sachs Holdings Inc., a portfolio company of the GFI Energy Group of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., in its acquisition of Parsons Electric LLC;
- a portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in the sale of an option to acquire an interest in the transfer capacity of the West Devers transmission upgrade project in Southern California to Axium Infrastructure, Inc.;
- Funds managed by Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in connection with the formation of an investment entity to invest in certain transportation assets and the initial acquisition by that entity;
- a portfolio company of Crimson Investment in connection with the potential sale of the company;
- Highview Capital in connection with the acquisition, together with Victory Park Capital Advisors, of substantially all of the assets of Katy Industries Inc.;
- Tengram Capital and its portfolio company, Robert Graham, in connection with the combination of Robert Graham with Joe’s Jeans;
- Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. and its co-investors in connection with the sale of a majority of the stock of Alliance Healthcare Services, a publicly listed company, to Fujian Thai Hot Investment Company;
- Infrastructure Investing Group of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. (formerly Highstar Capital) in connection with an investment in an energy transmission project;
- The Power Opportunities Group of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in the acquisitions of Recon Services; Energy Solutions Holdings, L.P.; and InfraSource Incorporated; and in the acquisitions and subsequent sales of Sheehan Pipeline Construction Company; Snelson Companies, Inc.; Elgar Electronics Corporation; and UtiliQuest Holdings Corp.;
- New Cotai Holdings, an entity owned by funds managed by Silver Point Capital, L.P. and Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., in the negotiation of a joint venture with Melco Crown Entertainment Limited for the development and construction of an integrated casino resort in Macau;
- an investor group led by Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in the acquisition and recapitalization of AmericanWest Bank. The transaction was the first of its kind, involving the bankruptcy of a bank holding company and the sale of its subsidiary bank in a court-supervised Section 363 sale;
- Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. in an investment in First BanCorp, the NYSE publicly traded bank holding company for FirstBank Puerto Rico; in the acquisition of Pierre Foods, Inc. and certain of its affiliates as part of their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases; and, with MTS Health Investors, the acquisition of a controlling interest in Alliance Imaging, Inc.;
- AdvancePierre Foods Holdings, Inc., a portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., in its initial public offering of its common stock;
- a consortium of private equity investors in the organization of AloStar Bank of Commerce and its simultaneous acquisition of the operations of Nexity Bank from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; and
- Crimson SV, LLC in the acquisition of Tyden Group, Inc. and Tyden Group in the acquisitions of E.J. Brooks Co., Inc. and Stoffel Holding Company.