Skadden counsels life sciences and health care clients in the areas of transactional, litigation and enforcement, regulatory, finance and intellectual property matters. We represent companies and investors around the globe in every sector of the industry, including pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies; food and dietary supplement companies; hospital and health care systems; long-term care facilities; and other service providers. We work with clients on matters of all sizes, from the largest mergers in the industry to smaller, early-stage transactions. We provide compliance counseling on a range of complex regulatory issues, and help resolve disputes with the government or other parties before they blossom into more serious matters. Our regulatory and litigation teams have extensive experience with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act; the Public Health Service Act; the Anti-Kickback Statute; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; the Controlled Substances Act; and the False Claims Act.
Our attorneys provide our clients with a unique combination of leading transactional capabilities as well as broad regulatory, compliance and litigation experience.
Skadden has navigated our life sciences and health care clients through virtually all issues that companies throughout the industry face:
- We offer a full range of transactional services, including advising on M&A, corporate restructurings, financings, private equity and complex licensing transactions.
- We offer a full range of litigation and defense services, including representing clients in product liability defenses, intellectual property matters, internal investigations, U.S. investigations and enforcement (civil and criminal), antitrust matters, and securities litigation matters.
- We offer a full range of regulatory and compliance counseling services, including on FDA premarket review; manufacturing and processing requirements (e.g., Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Quality System Regulation (QSR), Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls (HARPC)); post-market safety reporting; medical product supply chain requirements; advertising and promotion of medical products; and addressing product recalls, FDA 483s and warning letters.
- Our global footprint with 22 offices in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific allows our attorneys to work seamlessly across our corporate, litigation and regulatory practices to provide service that balances the business prerogatives of our clients with the legal demands on the industry.
- Our extensive work in health care provides our attorneys with current, sector-specific insights that make our legal advice timely and relevant in the fast-moving life sciences and health care industries.
Our clients have included one-half of the top 40 global pharmaceutical companies and one-quarter of the top 40 global medical device companies (by market capitalization), as well as numerous emerging biotechnology and health care businesses. Some of the largest publicly traded and not-for-profit health care systems are represented by our attorneys. In 2020, Skadden was named M&A Firm of the Year and received the award for Impact Deal of the Year by LMG Life Sciences. In LMG Life Science’s 2019 rankings, Skadden is cited as a leading firm for both M&A and Products Liability within the life sciences industry. Additionally, we received two Finance and Transactional Deal of the Year awards from LMG Life Sciences in 2018 and recognized among the top firms for Health Care Law by U.S. News — Best Lawyers Best Law Firms 2020. We ranked as a leading firm for Life Sciences by The Legal 500 U.S. 2018 and ranked among general counsel’s top firms for pharmaceutical work BTI Power Rankings 2017. Additionally, we were named The American Lawyer’s 2018 White Collar/Regulatory Litigation Department of the Year and a finalist in the general litigation category of the New York Law Journal’s 2019 and 2020 Litigation Department of the Year competitions.